Wednesday 30 April 2014

Drama Review (Episode 01): 死神君

This is turning into a J-Drama review blog isn't it...! But what can you do when the Spring season has just started and has so many promising dramas lined up. I love watching J-Dramas not only as a way to relax and take a break from real life, but also as a refreshing study method for Japanese. Whenever I don't feel like using my good old flashcards or textbooks, I just pick up a drama with no English subtitles and there I go. It's better than nothing! 

Anyway, I just checked out the first episode of Ohno Satoshi's new drama, 死神君 (Shinigami kun) which looks promising. The first episode wasn't amazing, but the show has potential.


Picture from TV Asahi
The show is about a new Shinigami recruit whose job it is to let people scheduled to die know about well.. their upcoming death. He then guides their souls to the netherworld. It's a bit similar to Bleach and Death Note I suppose, but they do give it a new spin. Ohno Satoshi as the lead is really, really good- since he's new to the job, he tends to (more or less unknowingly) break the rule from time to time and tries to help people make the most out of their remaining time on earth. Judging from the first episode though, he's got quite a scary superior girl who's not afraid to shout at him and make it clear that he's supposed to stay neutral and needn't interact with humans so much... there's some special rules for a reason after all.

At first I thought this was just going to be it- the key message of the show being, you know, live your life without regrets but then at the end of the first episode something happened which might mix things up a bit. The first episode was good anyways, the acting wasn't THAT great to be honest (minus Mr. Shinigami himself! Ohno Satoshi was great I thought.) but it's an interesting story and looks like it'll only get better from here. I'll keep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment