Thursday 18 September 2014

Hello from Tokyo




 After an 11 hour flight and some more hours spent traveling in general, I arrived in Tokyo yesterday morning! My first day wasn't much fun to be honest as I was really tired and jetlagged, and having to carry massive bags (which weighed a ton) throughout central Tokyo didn't help. I spent most of the day exploring my neighbourhood and taking some pictures. Also, raiding the 100-yen shop nearby with some 'essentials'. Sometimes I think 100 yen shops are basically made for foreigners who have just arrived and are trying to settle in. While I find that in most 1€ shops that I've visited, for example, they mostly carry junk, in Japan you can find pretty much everything you might ever need. Cutlery, general kitchen utensils, bathroom and cleaning products, storage options, food, clothing essentials, more homeware.. and etc.








So today I went to get my address registered in the nearby ward office. The area around the ward office was really nice with a little park closeby and what I assumed were shrines on top of a hill. (I'll check them out next time). I had to get a bit more essentials shopping done so I headed to Ikebukuro next, which is undoubtedly one of my favourite spots in Tokyo. It feels so buzzy and exciting, especially after it's gone dark. I'm still not completely over my jetlag and my feet hurt quite a bit from running around all day again, but what I noticed today is that I really, really like the fact that a traditional Japanese park can be right by a lively shopping street or awfully high skyscrapers. It feels like 'old' meets 'new' and even 'Japanese' meets 'Western' at times. 

I've definitely got the feeling I can get used to life around here.






2 comments:

  1. Really cool - a little jealous of you! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tokyo looks amazing and absolutely beautiful - so full of life and culture (I really have to visit Japan sometime...)! Hope you're settling in well <3

    ReplyDelete